Logo

my 2002 honda BF225 outboard will not go above 4200 rpm underway.

Randy Vickery

I replaced the primer ball which was not getting hard, checked the water seperation filters,popped the cowling and looked for ANY DISCONNECTED vaccum lines, but still nothing. At the dock it revs up in neutral to 6000 rpm no problem. I also checked the vents for clogging at the fuel fill. What else is a possible problem. It ran great last week . this just happened.

6000 RPM in neutral! OUCH! Not good. In fact I thought that the neutral safety switch should not allow that. Think it should max out at around 3000 rpm.

I agree with above on replacing the high pressure filter and screen. Drain the VST while you are in there. Also, when is the last time you changed out your external fuel/water separator element? They do get clogged up.

Hello
After you replace the main fuel filter from the fuel tank next low pressure & high pressure filters on the engine , drain clean VST tank and last clean the screen on the High Speed Fuel Pump a item over-looked it's a fine screen clog's easily if you done these basic items and no results than the tough search begins.
Sincerely
Greg

Back