Logo

coil wire from distributer ,,where does it go on coil +?-? plesase help

james luchi

bought boat wires were off coil and wire was off coming from distributer, don't know where they go put em on a few ways no spark all new parts ughhhhhhhhhhhh help please

without a bit more information, its like calling the doctor on the phone and asking for a ************.....

that said, if its a single wire coming from a points type of distributor, the single wire from the distributor will go to the "-" post on the ignition coil.

ok. and o have two pink wires together and a single one white, I put them on both ways nothing . just bought new pointe put them on gapped , new condenser, new coil still no spark I assume I am not getting correct combination of wires

pink wires aren't factory standard at the ignition...with three wires, there are more permutations than "both ways"...

did you look in your owners manual for the wiring diagram?? if not, figure which engine you have and search this forum - there have been PLENTY of posts where members have posted links to wiring diagrams for the vast majority of the points based engines used...

Take a lighter, flick it, right before the flame you will see a spark. Tape or zip tie (preferred) it to the distributor. Engine still won't start, but you will always have spark.

Yeah, I know, about as useless as the info of engine, year, drive that you left here.
Just trying to make a joke!

This image shows an automotive points style system.
Your Marine application will be minus the vacuum diaphram advance, and will be minus the start-by-pass that initiates from the key switch.

Your start-by-pass will initiate from the starter motor solenoid I or R terminal.

As far as the contact points and coil are concerned, you can use this schematic.

Attachments

• Ignition contact points.jpg
    Ignition contact points.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Here is a 4 cylinder point igniton schematic. The wiring should be the same with the exception of 2 V6 or 4 V8 more spark plug wires...........

Back