Logo

Choosing a speedi-sleeve for 7.5hp drive shaft (leaking water into gearcase; pitted shaft)

redfishsc

Contributing Member
Howdy all, thanks for the help you all have given me in the past.

My motor is a 1983 Johnson 7.5hp short shaft.

I'm getting water in the gearcase, and I'm sure some of the water is coming around the driveshaft. I recently rebuilt the water pump and replaced the deteriorated gearcase cover with a used one from a parts-motor. Also used new driveshaft seals, and yes they are installed in the right positions.

The driveshaft has a lot of pitting around the seals, and I'm certain that at least SOME of the water in the gearcase is coming through here. Someone here has suggested using a Speedi-sleeve.

I am not familiar with these, so I've googled around on them. Could someone help me pick the right sleeve to use here? I have some digital calipers somewhere to check the shaft diameter, I have to dig them out. But from that point, I'm just not familiar with choosing one of these.

Your advice is appreciated!
Matt

You might want to check the prices on those sleeves before you proceed any further. I don't have the website handy, but I think the mfr gives pretty good instructions. I'm thinking it is SKF that makes them (?)

Back