Logo

Swapping Force Ignition Back to Chrysler Distributor [ie. Magnapower]

Volvo351

I have a Force 85, around 1984 I think, that has a dead ignition system. I currently have two live Chrysler's and one dead Chrysler 85 with the CD ignition using a distributor. It wouldn't seem to be much to install the Magnapower ignition on the Force block...by all appearances they didn't change much..the mounting ears for the distributor are still cast in. What would I need to install on the Force powerhead? Obviously the top bearing housing that provided clearance for the distributor drive belt and the old charge-only stator, right? What about the distributor drive gear at the crankshaft end...is that on the bottom of the flywheel...I haven't pulled either F/W yet. My mechanic says the distributor system is much more reliable than the Force that used the flywheel trigger and the multiple PP's. Those Motorola CD packs seem to last forever...I've seen ancient ones still firing! But, he says I have to change "a lot" to refit and that just doesn't square with my assessment of the powerheads. Anyone have any experience on this, or do I have to start pulling flywheels off to find out for myself?

Not worth the trouble. Just troubleshoot the system. Your mech is wrong about the dist system. Less moving parts,no belts and the parts avaiability on the Magnapower. If you can find a working one?? Most Force mech are getting rid of the old for the new. The parts are all over. Your "friend" should have what you need as he replaces dozens every summer.

Back