Logo

white milky substance coming from behind prop

pontooner1

I have a Mariner 40 hp magnum oil injected outboard. After running the engine, I get this milky (oil and water mixed) dripping from behind the prop. I replaced both prop shaft seals and the rear carrier big O-ring. I still get the milky
discharge. I drained the lower unit, pressure tested to 10 psi (rigged up my old cooling system tester). Holds good
pressure. With the prop off, I filled the prop shaft housing with soapy water, no bubbles. Is it possible the oil is coming
thru the exhaust? I noticed their is some guys on this sight that are knowledgeable. I would appreciate a little help.
Thanks.

Thanks Hystat for the reply. Your description of slime is correct. I'm surprised that much slime would come thru the exhaust. Is there an adjustment on the oil pump? Also, the fuel and oil hoses on this Mariner 40 hp have cable ties in place of clamps. Is this normal? I would think spring clamps would be a better clamp. Thanks for your help.

If you are running an additive in the gas (Seafoam, gas treatment etc) or you have recently used one of the more potent (immediate clean products such as Powertune or the like) then that is totally normal.

Many of those products end up producing a (crud) that, to me, looks like melted McDonalds milkshake laying on the pavement.

I use to get a lot of "slop" drain out of my exhaust that no one could explain. I changed my base gasket and it stopped. Mine was a more oily looking than milky. Also, what kind of oil are you using?

Back