Logo

07 70 hp stuck in limp mode

eigerogre

New to forum.I recently bought from a dealer.He replaced the fuel canister on the transom,then I cleaned the fuel tank and put in new fuel.Runs perfect for 3 25 gallon tanks.Then had to idle to the dock,wont take throttle,just dies when you gas it. It has never ran hot,and when this happened,the oil tank was three fourths full.filled to top,no difference.what to check next?

The rule of thumb is replace the water pump if you don't know how old it is. Your motor is over heating. Check to see why the alarm is not working also while you are at it. Replace water pump asap before you blow the head gasket.

The rule of thumb is replace the water pump if you don't know how old it is. Your motor is over heating. Check to see why the alarm is not working also while you are at it. Replace water pump asap before you blow the head gasket.
OK ,Thanks.pump kit is coming. Any ideas on testing the alarm....disconnect and test with 12 volts..What about heating the block near the sensor?

Does the alarm goes off without running the motor? If so then you can disconnect the wire at the sensor. If it's stops then you have a bad sensor. If the alarm goes off after you run the motor for awhile then obviously it's not the sensor, it's the water pump. To test the alarm just disconnect the wire at the sensor and ground it.

New water pump is in,lots of water coming from pump.As for the sensor OR buzzer,yamaha calls it,has never made a noise,not even when it was grounded.New one on the way!Thanks for the ideas,will keep posted.After the new buzzer is in,Will this reset the limp mode condition? If not what then?

Test the buzzer at the controller first before you buy a new one. Your wiring might be the problem. One wire to the buzzer should have 12V when the key is on. The other is the one that goes to the sensor. Find out exactly what's wrong first before you start buying new parts.

OK,I do have 12v,key on ,at yellow buzzer lead. Old buzzer does nothing when put on 12v....Replace buzzer! right?

Assuming it's not a switched ground. If your buzzer only has 1 lead and grounds through a mounting bolt then yes, if you have a confirmed 12v at the only lead, and it does not sound off, replace the buzzer.

If there are two leads, you need to confirm you have 12v at one lead and solid ground at the other lead.

OK getting somewhere,I have Yamaha single key ignition,w/ pn 688-83383-11-00 buzzer yam 704 controls on a c/s 178DLV.Yellow wire near key{buzzer leads}have 12 v key on,pink is other lead to buzzer.It does not go to ground. goes strait in to an 8 pin connector. Guessin I need to follow to see where it lost ground?

New buzzer ..So motor starts...To test the buzzer..just pull the safety lanyard...right?..well the motor dies,like its supposed to...BUT still no buzzer..How do I test this buzzer and get this motor out of limp mode????

Buzzer is 2 leads.Yellow is 12 v switch on.Other is pink..but is NOT ground....Someone on the forum said it goes to ground when..Overheats? low oil? ?????is this right?? Does anybody know.Any ideas are appreciated

Tested buzzer...With key ON just unplug second wire,yellow is 12v , touch to ground...,BUZZZZZ.New thermostat going in today. Still in limp mode! even when wires at CPU on motor are unplugged?????

Back