Logo

Volvo penta AQ131a/275 U joint + PDS replacement . Need help please

JASONITUS

I recently changed my drive shaft bellows and noticed .050" play(front-back an d up,down, left, right) in the drive shaft. I plan to replace the PDS bearing and purchased new U joints as well. I am noticing a growling and vibration while making hard turns above 15MPH. I suspect there may be a U joint issue as well from reading other posts. They appear to be OK from the outside and feel tight.
Is there any way to inspect and/or replace the U joints without getting too complicated? I have read several post concerning "rolling torque values", shims, and crush sleeves. I do not have the workshop manual for this drive and all other post I have found are regarding slightly different drives.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jason.

Jason, this should have actually been posted in the Volvo Penta section. I'll see if it can be moved.

I recently changed my drive shaft bellows and noticed .050" play(front-back an d up,down, left, right) in the drive shaft.
This would be the PDS.... primary drive shaft.

I plan to replace the PDS bearing and purchased new U joints as well. I am noticing a growling and vibration while making hard turns above 15MPH.
Most likely bad PDS bearing. I say "bearing" because the AQ131 will use a single bearing PDS.

The single bearing PDS will come out AFT without engine removal.

I suspect there may be a U joint issue as well from reading other posts. They appear to be OK from the outside and feel tight.
Marine applcation bearing crosses do not articulate as much as do car/truck crosses. Because of this, the needle bearings will tend to ride in a more consentrated area of the trunion. They may feel OK, but could be in dire need of replacement.
Your bearing crosses will be a Spicer 5-1306X, and will run about $14 each.

Is there any way to inspect and/or replace the U joints without getting too complicated?
Short answer... NO!

I have read several post concerning "rolling torque values", shims, and crush sleeves. I do not have the workshop manual for this drive and all other post I have found are regarding slightly different drives.
The pre-A 275 transmission is shim controlled for the main drive gear bearing rolling torque value.
If you do not loose or misplace a shim, you can't go wrong.

The 275A is cush sleeve (pre-tension sleeve) controlled.

If you end up replacing the seal surface washer on a Pre-A transmission, then re-shimming for the correct rolling torque value must be done.

Jason, this should have actually been posted in the Volvo Penta section. I'll see if it can be moved.

Thank you Rick for the words of wisdom, and sorry for the incorrect platform but the Volvo forum read " engine" only. I read a post from another site who mentioned he managed to changed his U joints without removing the aft U joint yoke from the BB. Is this possible using a C clamp/ socket with this drive?
Also being that I do not have the workshop manual, do you have any insight as to the order and/ or how I should take things apart to remove the aft yoke from the BB if necessary?

Thanks, your the man...

1. I read a post from another site who mentioned he managed to changed his U joints without removing the aft U joint yoke from the BB. Is this possible using a C clamp/ socket with this drive?

2. Also being that I do not have the workshop manual, do you have any insight as to the order and/ or how I should take things apart to remove the aft yoke from the BB if necessary?

1. It is possible to change the bearing crosses without removing the aft yoke from the transmission. However, there's quite an advantage in removing the BB and removing the male yoke for this work.
    This gives us a chance to examine the bearings, etc, and to also replace the main drive gear seal.
    Your call!

2. Yes... I have posted lots of info for this, but unfortunately for you this is in my Vault thread over at the BOC forum.
    This can only be accessed by members. All you must do is join up.

Last edited:
Thank you Rick for the reply. After removing the forward U joint I opted for greasing and reusing as they looked to be in great condition. I replaced my PDS bearing and all is well.
Thanks again.

After removing the forward U joint I opted for greasing and reusing as they looked to be in great condition.

I replaced my PDS bearing and all is well.
Thanks again.
Glad that you did the PDS bearing.

The Marine outdrive bearing crosses do not articulate to the same degree as does a car/truck cross. We are most often under power when traveling fairly straight forward.
So the needle bearings wear in a very tight pattern against the trunions. Wear is sometimes difficult to feel by hand.

Your call on re-using the one cross.
Maybe look at the trunions on the one that you did replace.

I appreciate the diagram. Unfortunately I have already discarded the one U joint and will have to wait until the seasons over to pull the drive again and replace the aft Ujoint. Thanks for the diagram. I spent lots of time on the Iboats forum to no avail prior to finding this one.
Thanks again.

Back