Logo

M70A running on one cylinder - bad check valve?

dgeesaman

I'm trying to get an M70A running again - last year it quit on us with a flooded lower cylinder and puking oil/gas out the exhaust. The mechanic at the nearby marina did not see a simple external fix - he saw good compression and the cylinder liners were not scratched up. He said the reed valves looked ok. He suspected the issue as some sort of internal leak that prevented proper suction of fuel into the cylinder. We didn't give him additional time/money to dig deeper at that time.

Today I'm looking at this and the lower check valve (adjacent to the non-firing cylinder) was home-repaired. The rubber flapper is not original and the nipple was broken off with a metal one epoxied into it's place. The two bolts holding this in place appear to have lost tension.

Can a leak at the check valve cause a cylinder to intake poorly and eventually not run? Should I get another OEM or could I replace with a standard check valve in the vacuum line? (Check valve: http://www.mcmaster.com/#6079t57/=njv25m)

David

The lubrication check valves (in the tube on the side of the motor) should not cause that. Might chew a bearing, though. How are the carbs? How's the ignition?

Back