Logo

1976 Evinrude 115 hp, power pilot control box, in Neutral it sometimes wont start HELP..

piercej63

In neutral it sometimes, more often and more often, will not start, no electricity, the Boat shop said it was the electric switch that tells its in neutral and allows the current to flow, they say I need a new Power box control, ($600 plus) or just wire the switch so it starts in neutral or in gear, or if i can find the switch replace it, I have 2 questions, does anyone know the part number for that switch and if its worth digging out to replace or hard wire around, and second question, how do i take the box apart?

Take big steps in rapid succession away from that repair shop !!-------That should be a simple repair !!----Also check the ground wire on the solenoid.

Last edited:
so far I have only found 2 repair shops here in Colorado Springs area, I will call the other shop and get some more info, so far i think i found the part, Neutral switch, and the mounting bracket, the switch is not available, the mounting bracket is.. I guess i have to un mount the whole Power Pilot and access the switch from the side facing the side of the boat, Looks tricky.. ugh..

Anybody ever heard of testing the switch? Check the voltage at the motor end before you even consider taking the control apart. True, the switch is listed as unavailable, but there is one out there somewhere. They made tons of those things. The control is not hard to get apart. When you get to removing the handle, loosen the allen screw on the back a couple of turns, then give it a whack with a hammer and punch like you are trying to drive it in like a nail. That will knock the handle loose so you can go ahead and take it off.

thanks, It seems the problem, according to the "SHOP" is its intermittent due to friction for 30 plus years wearing down the end of the switch where it rubs on the throttle handle. So the switch works electrically, just not physically when it comes in contact with the throttle handle cam..

So the shop is telling you what is wrong with the switch, without seeing it?? Take faster successive steps away from there.

I have disassembled a Merc. shift/throttle assy., rewired it and replaced the neutral safety switch. You need a diagram to be certain you put it back together correctly. I suggest that you don't tear it apart completely. You can see the switch from the backside. It is a standard micro switch that is still used today. You may have to remove it and take it to an electronics shop or contact a parking gate equipment repair shop...they use them. So do fork lifts.

I do not have nor do i know how to use an Ohmmeter.. I do have a friend that does appliance repair, he will, i can give him a call.

Jumping up and down and guessing is not the way to repair things economically.-----------Get your friend to help here with a meter.----Test the nuetral start switch. Test the ignition switch.-Look for an issue with the ground wire on the solenoid.-Test / inspect the starter motor too.

Back