Logo

83 2stroke 50 HP Mariner Hard to Start and Stalls out at Idle

ehlien

Regular Contributor
The engine is in great shape but has not been run for about 10 years. Visually its like new.
I put in a new water pump and rebuilt the carbs.
It seems to take a lot of cranks to get going Seems like its easy to flood but i also have to give it high throttle to make it catch. It will not idle till warmed up but once you do go to idle it stalls out quickly.
I have read a lot of posts and it seems to be a common problem with MANY corrective suggestions. Since i rebuilt the carbs I'm thinking they mixture ir idle adjustment may need adjustment but I'm not sure where to find the correct screws. Can someone help me out here. If someone has a picture/diagram they coudl post or point me to where I might see one that would help too. Other simple trouble shooting suggestions would also be appreciated.
Thanks much!!!!!!!!!!!!

The engine is in great shape but has not been run for about 10 years. Visually its like new.
I put in a new water pump and rebuilt the carbs.
How long did you soak the carbs and in what solution? Fuel varnish can get hard as a rock in 10 years. The idle circuits could still be plugged. Did you use compressed air to blow out the idle circuits? The mixture screws should have been preset at 1.5 turns CCW from fully CW for initial start. What exactly have you done?

Sorry, my last reply did not seem to get posted. I used automotive spray carb cleaner in them but pretty sure I did not soak the carbs themselves for long as they looked pretty clean so maybe those circuits did not get cleaned right out. Do you have a recommendation what to soak them in???? Also , I do not have an engine manual. Does anyone have pictures or diagrams or a service write up for the carbs on this monster.

Thanks

I know..its on the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Found the idle screws and adjusted but did not fix the problem. Will probably increase the mixture a but more.

Back