Logo

BF 225 Questions

Jose M

I read there was a recall or some problem with thermostat housing. My engine has a corroded thermostat housing and I just bought the part, my question............ is this something a dealer should do as a recall ??? Also, I need some information on SB56 I don't know if it has been done on the engine. Also SB39 do I need to take boat to a dealer, I live in a small town and there are no Honda marine dealers around. Thanks To TT

TT - send me an e-mail a [email protected], and I will return mail SB 56. I don't know anything about SB 39. Assuming you live in the US, you can call Honda Marine Customer Service number at 770-497-6400 and they can tell you whether SB 56 has been performed on your engine. You can do a lot of diagnoses and repair on that engine if you invest in the Helm Shop Manual. It costs about $116, but covers just about everything in terms of diagnosis and repair. Do not waste you money on after-market shop manuals.

Last edited:
The thermo housings and the main relay were among the recalls on my 02 model. No charge by the dealer. Off hand, I can't tell you all serial no's affected.

Just for the record....Honda does not consider the thermo housings or the main relay.."recalls". Honda considers a repair a recall if it is a safety related issue. See the Honda website for official "recalls". http://marine.honda.com/owners/recalls

Honda will do any official recall, even if the motor is out of warranty.

The Service Bulletins mentioned are "product improvements". They are covered under warranty, if the motor is still in warranty, and there is an issue.

If it is out of warranty, the dealer can ask Honda for some consideration. Lately, it seems, that the consideration is getting to be less and less.

Mike

I read there was a recall or some problem with thermostat housing. My engine has a corroded thermostat housing and I just bought the part, my question............ is this something a dealer should do as a recall ??? Also, I need some information on SB56 I don't know if it has been done on the engine. Also SB39 do I need to take boat to a dealer, I live in a small town and there are no Honda marine dealers around. Thanks To TT

Thank you all for the replies. I will order the shop manual from Honda. Does anyone use a salt- free like product to flush engine after use? Is that a good idea , any comments?

Back