Logo

SX lower unit refill

roncon

I have a 96 four wins with 4.3 engine and sx drive (1.66:1)
I drained the outdrive after removing fill plg, oil level dipstick and drain plug ( outdrive in run position.
I then filled the outdrive from the bottom using a pump and put 71 oz. into the unit.
I checked the dipstick level and no reading, it took approx another 10 -15 oz to show full on the dipstick.
1. is the 71 oz shown on the specs not correct?
2. will I do harm with this apparent overfill?
I have not taken the boat out yet so no harm as yet.
or
Where have I gone wrong ??
suggestions please
thanks
Ron

Thanks fellows for the responses.
I did exactly as outlined on page 64 Dave (and thanks for the link), and el pescador, no it is not a SX-A.
I am going to drain the fluid, refill until it comes out the oil level plug hole, wait and then check the dip stick. If it shows low I will not add any more and assume the dip stick is incorrect.
Sound like a good plan ???

Well, no. It does not sound to me like a good plan at all.

From the manual:

Oil level. Check

Trim the drive to it's normal running position. Remove the dipstick (A) and check the oil level covers the entire marked area. Add oil if required through the dipstick hole. If oil level is low, add only enough lubricant to bring the oil level within the full range of dipstick.
IMPORTANT! Always screw the dipstick all the way home in dipstick tube before reading of the oil level.

In other words, the dipstick tells me when the oil level is correct (not the manual). If you go ahead with your plan you will never know when the oil level is low.

Just my two cents.

Thks el, a quick question, are all of the dipsticks the same length?
I figured that if for some reason I had one that was longer than it was supposed to be, the oil flowing out of the oil level plug hole would better than an overfill. I am finding out that the boat that I bought has some strange things on it, like not original engine, alternator, thermostat hsg, etc. I just wondered if someone screwed an incorrect dipstick into my drive.
thank again

For what I can see, dipsticks have different par numbers (and prices) depending on to what model they belong. Don't know about their lengths.

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-schematics-MarineDrivesTransmissions.aspx

Perhaps you should write down (or take a picture of) the name plate data on your drive, then go to a Volvo Penta dealer with the dipstick and ask if that is the correct size. Having installed the wrong length dipstick won't do you any good I'm afraid.

Not having the original engine is not uncommon in a VP power plant. Volvo Penta drives are virtually indestructible, but not so the Ford/Chevy engines and their attachments. ;)

Back