Logo

Stainless Prop Recommendation

ehlien

Regular Contributor
Currently I have a 50 HP 2 stroke Mariner with a 12P prop. I would like to upgrade to stainless.
What pitch would I go to?

Thanks

If you're looking to go faster, you could probably move up to a 13Px10.5 or a 14Px10.25,unless you've got it on a 17ft. boat or bigger. The only way to know for sure is try. You need to keep your RPMs between 4500 and 5500 at wide open throttle. More pitch will reduce your RPMs; less will increase them.

Its on a 16ft aluminum sea Nymph center consul... Its an outboard and I don't have a tach on it so not sure what it even revs now..I thought when you changed to stainless you had to change the pitch just to maintain the same revs..?
A buddy has a 15 p on a smaller boat with a newer 50 but I'm pretty sure that would be way too much.

I don't know about that theory, but if you are serious about propping your rig, you can get a product called Tiny Tac, if you don't want to spend much money (a stainless prop is going to cost you some change any way), and it requires no installation. There are formulas that you could try, but the only way to know, for sure, is to see the affects on your RPMs. Check this out:http://forums.iboats.com/prop-quest...ps-performance-ss-versus-aluminum-369057.html

For the "average" boater there is a very limited benefit to going with a stainless prop (which is often 2 to 3 times the cost of aluminum).

While it is true that stainless flexes less than aluminum or composite we are talking about a relatively low powered motor here (only 50 horses).

The "less flex" will make it "bite" the water a little harder, but add to the "slip" that all props experience. So in all probability, on this particular motor, if your current pitch/diameter is correct then you should prop with exactly the same pitch/diameter in stainless.

Unless you are running is salt water (which will corrode an aluminum prop), it's my opinion that you would be better served putting your money somewhere else besides a stainless prop which would give you "no noticeable" performance benefit and will lighten your wallet considerably.

If you are not correctly propped (can only tell with a tach), then simply getting a suitable pitch/diameter prop in either aluminum, an alloy or a composite would make far more difference the overall performance, making a switch to stainless practically un-necessary..

Back