Logo

Honda 225 stops running over 4000 rpm PART 2

markwis

I'm back - Stalls at over 3900 rpms - alarm & high temp light. I turn key off, wait 30 seconds & it restarts & goes no problem, but exceed 3900 rpm & stalls. I've replaced all fuel filters & racor (all ok except hp which was dirty & collapsed) drained VST 3 times & fuel clean ea time. Tried to get codes but just solid red light. Finally took to local Honda mech & he checked & found constricted fuel line at grommet through the cowl & replaced the line. He also replaced water pump & thermostats thinking it could be temp sensor putting engine into safety mode. Some other clues- fuel bulb stays semi firm. I tried pumping bulb while running & still stalls. When it quits it sometimes just quits entirely or rough idles. I run off 3 tanks & it happens on all tanks. Honda mech thinks maybe faulty temp sensor - high temp light & alarm should not go off if fuel problem. Any help/ideas are appreciated - Thanks

On the bottom of the Exhaust maifolds are two large hose's and two small one's. You will have to remove the pannel's to see, and locate the large one's. What has happened is that they are corroded into the mount case and not allowing your cooling system to function. This is a common issue. Use needle plier's to remove or tear out old one's. Some can be very tough. Replace and test run.Thank's Martin

This is copied from the Helm Shop Manual for the 200/225. "Ifthe MIL comes on and stays on without blinking, you have one of the followingconditions:
• Short circuit in the service checkconnector wire
• Short circuit in the MIL wire
• Short circuit in the sensor system powersupply
• Open circuit in the power supply line tothe ECM
• Faulty ECM"

Back