Logo

Rotary knob/switch question

Fords Folly

Hello everyone, I have a couple of Rotary Knob/Switch with lighted indicator, and the knob works but the light does not. Question: how does the knob come off; is there a bulb inside? I will try and put a picture on here so you will know what I am talking about. Key West Dash Lighted Switches.jpg Any help would be great. Thanks, Patrick

Can't say about the bulb without inspecting the knobs but most likely that there is no bulb within the knob.

the knobs will either pull off the shafts or will have a set screw that needs to be loosened...look around the perimeter of the knob for a small threaded hole...another thing is to see if you can see the shaft between the knob and the panel - if it appears splined, the knobs should just pull off, if the shaft is smooth, a set screw is likely.

Can't say about the bulb without inspecting the knobs but most likely that there is no bulb within the knob.

the knobs will either pull off the shafts or will have a set screw that needs to be loosened...look around the perimeter of the knob for a small threaded hole...another thing is to see if you can see the shaft between the knob and the panel - if it appears splined, the knobs should just pull off, if the shaft is smooth, a set screw is likely.
Makomark-Thanks for the reply, the knob 'does' just pull off ( had to use a small flat-tip screwdriver to help ) and behind is small red 'lighted' holes. So, I am guessing that what ever makes the lights work is part of the switch...........I do not know if it is important enough to 'dig' the complete switch out of the back of the panel? Thanks again for your help. Patrick

Could be a bulb (or LED) built into the switch or it could be separate from the switch....is the body of the switch, under the panel, larger enough to be as large as the knob?

Could be a bulb (or LED) built into the switch or it could be separate from the switch....is the body of the switch, under the panel, larger enough to be as large as the knob?
The main body of the switch is about one inch by two inch by three quarter rectangle, with about five or six wires plugged in to it. Like I said, it might just be to much to deal with. Thanks again for the follow-up. Patrick

Back