Logo

6o hp 1979 Mariner

lundytom

Hello every body. I have been a bad boy and neglected my Mariner. I bought it at the end of summer then left it sat for 2 years and now I can't get it started. It turns over but I fail to get a spark. Checked the CDI according to the Selco manual didn't get the right readings so bought a reconditioned one, replaced kill switch still not sparking has anybody got a clue what to try next. The ignition switch? Oh while I'm on here are you an American site? Also is my I.D correct the serial is 675 303 297. By my reckoning its as above but dose the 675 number mean its the same as a Yamaha? Thanks for reading and any help you can offer is greatly received.

Yes, we're American, but we have lots of your mates with us. From your numbers it looks like it's a '79, and yes it is a Yamaha built motor. Keep testing stuff; coil ect.

Thanks for the reply. Internet really dose make it a small world. That Selco manual is making it a bit easier will post when I find the problem. Will give it another go Tomorrow.

Got it to cough but then the battery died! Had to fiddle with the throttle while it was turning over just a brief splutter but showing signs of life. Would it be okay to jump start it from a car?

Did look at that but with the boat on the trailer its a bit tippy and its a 14 foot Flatacraft so there is not much room. I was also trying for the easy life if I can't get it going with more electric ery I will try the old pull cord. I think like most 2 strokes if I can get it to fire once it will be fine.

Would it be okay to jump start it from a car?
W/2 people go directly to the hot side of the solenoid then ground to the engine block. By yourself connect it to the battery terminals so the jumpers don't fall off and short out your alternator.

Did look at that but with the boat on the trailer its a bit tippy and its a 14 foot Flatacraft so there is not much room. I was also trying for the easy life if I can't get it going with more electric ery I will try the old pull cord. I think like most 2 strokes if I can get it to fire once it will be fine.

I'd use a battery booster because you may overload something. Try changing plugs, wires, and stator test. You may want to even tape up the wires, or even test the coil. And i'd give your pull cord a bit of use because you may have to rely on it one day, and if you're not familiar with it (i.e.never pulled it over before) so you may have a bad spring or cord that can snap with just one hall.

I'm a newbie as well, so getting to know something generally does help future diagnosis if there's an issue. Plus, it's harder to reqind a pullcord on the water than it is on dry land without someone with you.

Hope this helps.

RObby

Back