Logo

2005 MERC 125 (carb)2+2 cutting out at WOT

10bender24

Motor starts, idles and runs great,, when going to wide open throttle and hit 4600 RPM it starts cutting out, not sure if electrical or fuel, back it down to 4600 RPM and it runs great.. Normal WOT RPM is 5200.. Thanks for advice..

If it's a 2 stroke then the high speed jets may be partially plugged...carbs need a good cleaning. My 115 HP did the same thing last year. The carbs needed cleaning and also found a chunk of fiberglass holding open a reed petal. It may just be dirty fuel filters...change them first and add a pint of SeaFoam to 10 gals. of gas and then run the tank near to empty to see if that helps. Also check the plug wire connections at the coils...seen them come loose before. If it has been awhile then a new set of spark plugs can't hurt.

Pulled the cowling off, had two plug wires on top of one another, must have bumped them putting cowling on after plug change, I bet they were arcing through each other at high RPM.. I spread them back apart and will run tomorrow.. I'll let you know..

Back