Logo

9hp ted Williams 1961 no spark

Cncquinn

Hi, new member here, I got a 61 ted Williams, had a hard time finding parts. Even contacted sears and they had no clue what a ted Williams outboard is. I eventually found a place in Michigan who has parts for old outboards made for him. ( www.discount-marine-parts.com) got a carb kit and an impeller for it and go it replaced. The problem is I don't have spark after putting it back together. It was sparking but now just stopped, we cleaned the points and everything else. Any other suggestions

If you have a analog Ohm meter set it to OHM X1000 and put one end in the spark plug boot and touch one to the coil for ground, you should get a reading of about 5-8000 ohms, if no reading your High tension lead is broken some place.
Many many times its just a bad plug wire at the plug boot clip

I could do that, I look at the point, the spring to the point wasn't attached to the plastic housing, also the screw that goes into the plastic housing that holds the wires from the coil, condenser, and kill switch was stripped. It holds the wires in but it doesn't get tight. That screw also holds the spring to the point. Could that also be the problem

Sounds like you found the problem,
My first outboard of my very own way back when when I was just a kid was 1963 Sears Elgin/Muck a Luck ...pretty much the same as what you have, they always seem to need new condensers.

If marineengines.com don't have what you need I have found the standard magneto in Chicago IL to be my best friend/price for igniton parts.
The will have nice fresh made stuff too http://standardmagneto.com/index.html I buy most of my Scott Atwater/ McCulloch igniton stuff there or John Brillman company, I'm always looking for the best deal...you have to these days.

I have access to a Stevens ST 75, I have yet to find a 1950's wico brass can that was good...except on my vast collection of 1946 Firestone 462's & Scott 461's...how is it that they have been good 100% of the time, same with the coils, ?? every thing go's down hill after the world war II surplus was used up...LOL

Back