Logo

Tachometer for bf40a

tracker16

I have a 2001 bf40. It was remote steer when I bought it and I converted to tiller. I want to jnstall a tach with hour meter but not sure what I need. I'm trying to set it up right on my boat but need rpms to start tweaking. Any help greatly appreciated.

I guess I have to call my local dealer (which I can't stand). When I bought the tiller kit from iboats $250, I called my local dealer for a quote on installing it. They said minimum $600!!! I did it in 2 hours taking my sweet time. Thought this forum had some good people who would help but I guess I was wrong.

In defense of your dealer, I think the tiller arms for the pre 2004 40hp/50hp are a pain to install. Unless they have improved the instructions, they are difficult to be sure that you get full throttle...as well as making sure the throttle has a limit when in neutral. Also, we do not install engine parts that the customer has purchased elsewhere. What if something is missing, defective, etc. If something is installed, then does not work right, who is going to pay to remove it and deal with the manufacture when it was purchased someplace else? I think you get the picture.

I am glad you got it on ok.

As for the quickness of response....most of use have day jobs....and I for one am trying to solve a lot of boaters' problems so they can have their boats by 4th of July....working 6 days a week and barely seeing my family. I respond on this forum to help others when I can. I am sure it is the same for most others.

Anyway. The tachometer may be problematic. You can use the little one that john suggested. That would be the easiest. If you are trying to install a standard tach, then check out the honda website for the different tachs. http://marine.honda.com/outboards/accessories/gauge-sets The one that would probably work best for your motor is the Veethree brand (formerly Teleflex). Instructions are included with the tach. The wiring diagram to show you what leads to connect is at the back of your owner's manual.

Most tachs did not work accurately with the pre 2004 40 HP. There was a special tach that was shipped with each motor (although no hour meter). That one always worked well. Here's a link to one on ebay. http://compare.ebay.com/like/220597602506?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar It does not work on 2004 and later.
The other tachs sometimes needed a special resistor to help the tach read correctly. The Veethree with hour meter generally worked ok without the resistor. The Faria always worked ok for me as long as it had a built in hour meter and the special resistor.

Happy wiring.

Mike

Back