Logo

Boat will no crank/start (help please)

Kevo700r

I have a 2006 chaparral 190ssi with a 4.3 merc. I have power to the helm but when I turn the key I get nothing but the buzzer. Kill switch on, in neutral, battery has almost 13 volts. On thing I did notice was the ignition fuse under the helm has only one wire to it and no voltage, I did jump the starter switch and it good, replaced starter and solenoid, pressed and Ohmed the 50 amp fuse on top and Ohmed the 50 amp fuse by battery and it is good..... Hopefully it's something simple that I'm over looking. Any suggestions?

You might reset the shifter and try again...if that fails, you'll have to get out a meter or a test light and find the open circuit in the starter circuit.

With someone holding the key switch in the start position you should get 12 vdc at the slave solenoid small + stud...yellow w/black stripe (or reverse colors) wire...can't remember color for sure. If 12 vdc is not there then test for voltage coming out of the key switch...same wire color. If 12 vdc is at the switch in the start position then next bypass the neutral safety (NS) switch in the shifter. Grab the two yellow w/black (or reverse colors) stripe wires behind the panel and use a blue quick clip to crimp them together. If it starts the NS switch is defective. Those two wires run between the dash and the shifter...look under the dash for them. You did reset the main circuit breaker?

Back