Logo

100esl72r will not start with key

Jonathan Holden

Hello,

i have purchased a new solenoid because i thought for sure that would fix it, which is didn't i can start the boat if jump the top post of solenoid from battery to bottom to starter, i used a test light when i turn key power on bulb lights up on both of the little post terminals on the side i have been chasing my tail trying to figure this out..is there a safety switch anywhere not seeing one

when i turn key power on bulb lights up on both of the little post terminals on the side

I have no idea what that means. The circuit is....

Small red wire from the solenoid to a inline 20 ampere fuse which leads to the "B" (battery) terminal of the ignition switch.

In the START position, that "B" terminal connects to the "S" (solenoid) terminal which leads to one of the 3/8" nuts of the solenoid.

The voltage flows thru the solenoid field to the other 3/8" nut terminal to ground which causes the solenoid to slam its plunger in to throw voltage to the starter.

If the fuse isn't blown... check out the above circuit.

I'm not there looking at what you're doing.... Hook up the test light to what, and what two side posts?

Last edited:
There was a safety switch on Johnson models to prevent cranking with throttle too far advanced. Found near the throttle arm.--Some Evinrude models had a safety switch in the control box.

Okay, you're stating that the test light at the 3/8" nut terminals of the starter solenoid lights up when the key is turned to the START position. That doesn't tell you what voltage is at the terminal.

With a volt meter connected between the top 3/8" nut terminal of the starter solenoid (lead to the "S" terminal of the igniton switch) and a powerhead ground, you should obtain a voltage reading identical to the battery voltage reading, a full 12 volts. Do you?

Keep in mind that a test light simply measures voltage continuity, not actual voltage. A flashlight battery will make that light glow but it obviously will not crank the engine over.

Keeping the circuit simple.........

Okay, you say you've got a good fully charged battery reading 12.19v. The negative cable of the battery is connected to a ground at the powerhead. The positive cable is attached to the top large terminal of the starter solenoid.

Having the volt meter connected between any portion of the powerhead (ground) and the top large terminal of the starter solenoid should give you the identical reading of 12.19v UNLESS you have a bad cable connection at the battery of at the powerhead or both.

yeah i have a solid 12.19V on the top terminal of the solenoid and when i turn the key over im getting 12.19 on the side post terminals i was getting 0.00 but had it on the wrong setting of multimeter now another ?, is both of the side 3/8's terminals suppose to have power at the same time my thought was once the key switches over it would dump power from the top to the bottom but im getting power on both of the side post terminals

Last edited:
So in other terms im getting 12v on the Top of of the solenoid and 12v and at the S terminal and 12v at the I terminal but not at the starter post terminal

You have the proper voltage at the 3/8" nut terminals and at the solenoid battery terminal. Voltage with the key in the start position is applied to one of the 3/8" nut terminals, thru the solenoid windings and out to the other 3/8" terminal BUT obviously the solenoid is not energizing (plunger pulling in).

The 2nd 3/8" nut terminal leads to a safety switch that has to be in a grounded position in order for the solenoid to energize. Trace that wire to the safety switch..... no doubt either alongside the vertical throttle arm on the other side of the powerhead OR very close to the timer base under the powerhead. It'll have a white wire attached to it.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Okay i traced the wire to the safety switch, and the throttle arm is not engaging the safety switch, I taped it down and i got the engine turning over now with the key now, who knew something so simple could be such a headache, if the arm is not pushing it in will a new safety switch fix it, also is it a click i/o switch as in does it click in place or just push in and release once its in gear

The safety switch has nothing to do with being in gear. It is actuated (closed) by the vertical throttle arm when the throttle arm is at a proper idle, and disengaged (open) when the throttle is advanced.

Back