Logo

F50 4stroke wont start ...1998 model

50 4stroke

Hi everyone... Motor - 1998 F50 4 stroke yamaha 4 blade prop.

Inside the control box(remote) the reverse cable end broke !
I replaced it, and closed all up, now motor wont turn over, i suspect it is stuck in either forward or reverse, it the a way to get them both into neutral and then adjust the two cable ends in the cowling.????
Thanks, if u need any more info please dont hesitate to ask.

You may have adjusted something wrong, and now the neutral safety switch is not allowing it to crank. To properly adjust for new throttle/shift cables, you have to do it with the engine in neutral.

Last edited:
Thank you, i have the motor in neutral as the prop spins freely, i put a new limit switch and new emergency switch in the remote control, and still nothing.
i tried to turn the motor at the fly whell but is only move a little, but wont turn easy at all. Could it be the shaft is sticking , or a bearing has gone ???

Considering your engine turned over before hand, but now it doesn't (after you replaced the cable,) then I highly doubt anything is ceased. Can you move the flywheel by hand? If so, you're ok there. Also, check all the simple stuff again... Battery connections, battery switches, etc. Make sure something silly isn't causing this.

Hi, thats the odd thing... i can move the fly wheel but VERY slightly, took out plugs, checked them, look good. Prop spins freely out of gear, i put it in gear and doesnt move, perfect, back to neutral, engine wont turn, starter motor kicks in hard, battery reads 12.73V.... Do u think it could be a bearing on the shaft from motor to gear box ???

I am not quite sure you have something locked up. Does the starter motor even engage when you turn the key?

Remove the spark plugs and the top cover. Use a big socket to turn the motor by hand. If you can't turn it then check if the starter is not stuck in the engage position with the flywheel. If everything is cleared then your motor is seized. If you can turn it by hand then check your starter and the starter relay. Need more info and history of your motor to find out what's wrong with it.

Agreed.. pull the plugs and see if you can turn the flywheel freely. Turning a flywheel by hand means trying to build compression by hand which is NOT EASY. Try it in neutral. Then try in withthe shifter in FWD and RVS. FWD and RVS shouldn't be much different other than a little more resistance turning the lower gear box.

Back