Logo

'85 75HP Merc engine Tilt/Trim just clicks - engine stuck in the DOWN position

JEVaught

My tilt/trim just clicks when I use the switch. Worked fine last week. The solenoids have been checked and pass. The engine is in the down position and won't go up. I've read several forums and my manual which suggests it might be air and that there might be a manual relief screw on the starboard side to get the engine up manually. I don't see any such "screw". The plastic screw in the port side (fill or check?) has been safely removed with just a little air pressure bleeding off before the screw comes out. I can't get to the pump/motor until the engine comes up... any ideas?

Thanks in advance..
John

The solenoids have been checked and pass.
By what tests did you arrive at this conclusion? Did you run a jumper from the positive battery terminal to the small + terminal of the up/down solenoids that caused them to energize and the engine to raise and then drop?

I used a Multimeter to check for voltage and continuity while the solenoids were energized and at rest. Both reacted as they should...

You may see voltage and continuity that way but you won't be able to determine the amperage going thru the solenoids. Clicking solenoids only means the energizing circuit is working. Jumper the solenoids to see if the pump runs the engine up/down. If it does replace both solenoids as a pair. You may just have corrosion at the solenoid socket base that needs to be cleaned out.

I'll take your suggestion and pass on my results. GOOD NEWS; I found the relief screw, the head was "buggered" up - I read on another post where someone else had the similar situation and heated up the tip of a screwdriver to create a new slot. I did that and now the engine is in the up position so I can access parts as needed. The plastic screw was so buggered I couldn't even tell if it was a screw. I appreciate your help, but it may be tomorrow before I get any mor time to troubleshoot - thanks again!

Ok did some jumper checks. + to the small screws (green/white & Blue/White) both on the solenoid and off (taking the solenoid out of the equation) Clicks. But once or twice I heard a faint whine for a few seconds. Couldn't duplicate the whines and they seem to be random on the up or down solenoid. Hope this new info helps.

Jumper 12 vdc directly to the pump motor blue and then green wires to see if it runs. It's a 1985 and may need a brush kit at minimum.

Unless you have done this work before take the pump motor to an alternator or electric motor shop to have it done. The armature will need to be turned and undercut. They can tell you the electrical condition of it and make all necessary repairs.

Back