Logo

water dripping in from above drive shaft in bellow area

potatoe

hello everyone. im looking for anyone that might be able to give me some advise on another issue with boat. its a 1985 formula 25 pc with mercruiser 5.7 and alpha outdrive. last year i noticed it dripping water out from hole going into bellow area. is this a breather/escape hole?or should something be there? this year the water is coming in faster and more when idle and less when on the throttle. i was gonna change the bellows but if theres any advise or ways to diagnose this it would be greatly appreciated. i have not pulled off outdrive yet but im sure theres water in there. i mainly want to know what that hole above where the shaft comes threw is for. thanks in advance

hello everyone. im looking for anyone that might be able to give me some advise on another issue with boat. its a 1985 formula 25 pc with mercruiser 5.7 and alpha outdrive. last year i noticed it dripping water out from hole going into bellow area. is this a breather/escape hole?or should something be there? this year the water is coming in faster and more when idle and less when on the throttle. i was gonna change the bellows but if theres any advise or ways to diagnose this it would be greatly appreciated. i have not pulled off outdrive yet but im sure theres water in there. i mainly want to know what that hole above where the shaft comes threw is for. thanks in advance

Ayuh,.... Pull the Drive, 'n replace the bellows, it's got a hole in it...

Btw,... I'm guessin' yer now lookin' at a Bad gimbel bearing, 'n Bad u-joints, as neither likes swimmin' in water...

is that hole normal, or should something be there? its a 25 ft formula pc (performance cruiser). not sure how low it sits in water. but i plan on getting this done asap. thanks for the info

Actually there are 2 holes in the housing that go into the bellows area.
tran.jpg

Back