Logo

Finding obsolete part for 1983 Johnson 7.5.... water hose retainer (exhaust housing area).

redfishsc

Contributing Member
Have been having issues with my water pump, so I thought, but it turned out to be a bunched-up rubber retainer that sits at the top of the copper tube where it mates up to the engine block. I will try to call Seaway soon.

It's part #69 for the 7.5hp (they have the 4.5 but that's not going to work, I don't think, on my motor: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Exhaust+Housing

I have a parts-only motor (1986 6hp) that is a near clone to this one, but this one had a rotted retainer as well, so I'm dead in the water.

This particular motor (1983), however, has a flared pipe and the retainer adds no rigidity at all to it. I really cannot see what function the retainer serves, it seems like the gasket itself will provide all the seal necessary. On my 1986 parts motor, that retainer does have an obvious function but it's different than the 1983 I'm actually trying to repair.

Has anyone pulled one of these apart before? Is it possible to reassemble and use this without the retainer? Is it possible to use something like perhaps a fat rubber o-ring?

Last edited:
I am finding conflicting information on this. This site, Marine Engine.com lists the part as fitting the 4.5 models, but other sites seem to indicate that it fits a lot of different models.

The one I removed was round, like a round grommet looking material. The one that a few other places offer (supposedly for the 7.5) show a U-shaped retainer. Since the one that was on my motor was so rotted, it's hard to say whether the U shape ones will actually work, I can't even tell how it went on there originally.

Back