Logo

1986 Mariner 50hp 3 cyl - Can't get it to get to go back together!

Hi Guys,

My dad and I took apart this outboard a few years ago to replace the impeller but never got around to finishing it, as a birthday surprise I have decided to try and get it running for him and get him back on the water! all was going fine until time came to mate lower unit back up to engine, no matter what I try or how much force I apply still have about a half inch gap!! I have attached pictures, any suggestions would be awesome!

Not uncommon - I would suspect that your driveshaft is not lining up with the crankshaft (such that the splines are not slipping in).

Manually shift the lower unit into reverse (just work the shift shaft by hand until turning the prop by hand in either direction will cause the driveshaft to turn) then mate things up as close as they will go an slowly rotate the prop by hand - you will feel something "bite" when the spline line up and it should fit quite a bit closer - you can take it the rest of the way tightening up the bolts.

You can put a bit of grease on the splines themself, but don't get any on the top (tip) of the driveshaft - a little bit of grease on the top will put added pressure on the crank, not only stopping it from totally seating properly, but could also stress it to the point of early failure...

Get the heck oouuuwwt! Graham missed the real problem: The water tube guide is not in the (white plastic) pump body.

Look up at the copper water tube and you'll see a plastic guide piece stuck to it. (If not, then you'll hae to buy one.) Tap it gently into the top of the pump body then, when you stab the LU back up, be sure the copper tube (from above) enters the guide piece. That's what's holding you up.

Jeff

PS: I use a bungee cord to support the weight of the LU when putting them back together. Helps a lot!

The white plastic guide that keeps the tube and tilt lock pin in line is also missing.It has two wings on it that slot into grooves bottom of the last pic.

Many thanks to all that have posted, Have much more confidence in being able to get it back together with some fiddling!

Regarding the last item pictured, any idea of where to pick one up or a part number/name?

Back