Logo

Prop pitting

I have had to replace one of my Duo props on my Volvo Penta 5.7GI out drives (2 years old). The pitting was apparent only 3 months after the boat was delivered new. There are small holes in the main body of the propeller blade, so I don't think it's caused by cavitation. Also when the blades were disassembled there were quite large holes inside the main shaft. My feeling is that this is caused by material failure - any thoughts?
prop1.jpgprop2.jpg

Wow that is bad. the material of the prop is terrible quality, is this a genuine prop or after market cheapo prop ? either way I think that is absolutely mental to have such bad material. The prop was obviously cast bad from new and was never in a safe situation to be honest.. if this is what you can see on the surface, imagine how bad it would be under x-ray to see how porous it realy is. I would be intouch with the makers of the prop and be demanding a FREE replacement or be in touch with a lawyer, those goods were never in a fit condition for purpous. Tha prop could break at any time throwing ablade anywhere at terrifically high speed, and could easy kill or main someone . Dangerous is an understatement with badly made propellers. phill

Not all stainless is a high quality.---------My " stainless " barbeque bits only seem to last 2 years as well.-----Definitely talk nice to your dealer about replacement.----See what your warranty says as well.-----May not cover corrosion damage in salty water.

That is not corrosion, its porosity due to faulty goods !!!!!! barb q stainless is not meant for high performance and would be cheap grade stuff, propellers are not made (no supposed to be made) with inferior stuff, probably find out its been manufactured in china where all the nasty cheap stuff comes from now. the dealer is not the respoinsible one,its the actual maker of the goods, i.e Volvo marine. definitely got a good chance of a free replacement...if it was corrosion then both props would be in similar condition !!!!!!!! even if they were it would be faulty metal not corrosion to cause this type of thing. they are holes from within, not pits from the outside going inward, this is a very weak piece of metal compared to what its meant to be....

Back