Logo

Trouble shooting

Whiskeyes

I took my 1988 bayliner capri out for the first time last week , it's equipped with a inboard omc cobra 3.0 liter , I noticed water leaking from a freeze plug , in which kept filling the bottom of boat with water so I was running my bilge pump often . Question : is the motor damaged ? Or where do I get a freeze plug to replace it and how to do it myself ? I did have the motor hooked to a diagnostic computer last fall and the shop said I needed a head gasket job but wasn't critical , #1 cyl has 120 psi # 2 cyl has 90 psi # 3 cyl has 90 psi # 4 has 120 which they told me that only gives me the rough idle I've been experiencing . The boat was give to me from a family member and he did not winterized the boat . So I'm concerned about the water leaking from this plug , should I replace all plugs and spark plugs ? Not sure what to do , just gets expensive hauling back and forth to the boat shop , thanks for anyone's help

I took my 1988 bayliner capri out for the first time last week , it's equipped with a inboard omc cobra 3.0 liter , I noticed water leaking from a freeze plug , in which kept filling the bottom of boat with water so I was running my bilge pump often . Question : is the motor damaged ? Or where do I get a freeze plug to replace it and how to do it myself ? I did have the motor hooked to a diagnostic computer last fall and the shop said I needed a head gasket job but wasn't critical , #1 cyl has 120 psi # 2 cyl has 90 psi # 3 cyl has 90 psi # 4 has 120 which they told me that only gives me the rough idle I've been experiencing . The boat was give to me from a family member and he did not winterized the boat . So I'm concerned about the water leaking from this plug , should I replace all plugs and spark plugs ? Not sure what to do , just gets expensive hauling back and forth to the boat shop , thanks for anyone's help

Ayuh,.... Unfortunately, it sounds like you've got a cracked block, that needed a Rebuild, before it froze,...

These are casting core plugs (aka Welch Plugs)..... not freeze plugs! They gained the name "freeze plugs" back in the old days when people used straight water in lieu of coolant.

However, they will occasionally pop out when water (or poorly mixed E/G) freezes and expands behind them.

At this point you do not know the true condition of the engine nor the out drive.
I'd replace the casting core plug and run it and check everything else out.... including the out drive.

If all is A-OK but the engine (low cylinder pressures), and if you like/love the boat.........., pull the engine and either repair or replace it.

Just a friendly FYI...... free boats are never truly FREE! Plan on spending a few $$$ to get it working correctly.

Last edited:
Back