Logo

ignition problem

skeeter11

engine # 0L337374 195hrs Glastron ski boat starts fine and idles fine when cold to warm. Takes off like a rabbit. Does not miss at idle. After I get out about 400 yards from the ramp it spits, chokes, backfires, and dies. Its hard to start and just idles back to the ramp(give it to much gas and it backfires and dies). Fuel all seems to be fine(filter, pressure, lines) and has fuel at carb when it dies. Replaced coil and going to replace plugs(factory). Dist cap looks fine (no cracks seen). Someone pulled and installed boots on outdrive a few weeks ago and has not run right since. I don't think any service has ever been done. Just scratching my head on this and any help would be great.:confused:

Ayuh,.... sounds like a Carb problem, it's goin' Lean, the spark plugs oughta tell ya so,...

Start the engine , pull the shift interrupt wires and take her for a ride. You cannot shift the drive into neutral with the shift interrupt disconnected. You will have to shut the engine down to stop.

Choke stuck closed???

to many reported issues when it has a problem.

try to be very specific in your dicription

Thanks for the responses! Pulled the plugs and they are wet . I don't think its running lean because when it dies it doesn't smother out like a lean sound. It seems like something gets hot and scatters the spark? Timing is ok has a carb and filters are good and clean no trash. ????

:cool:
Thanks for the responses! Pulled the plugs and they are wet . I don't think its running lean because when it dies it doesn't smother out like a lean sound. It seems like something gets hot and scatters the spark? Timing is ok has a carb and filters are good and clean no trash. ????

Make sure the spark plugs are not cracked, because it might start o.k and run for a bit until it get's hot,and then heat expands the plugs,causing it to leak,and then it fumbles and dies ,until it cools,then you might able to idle back,also make sure it,S GAP PROPERLY,always look for the silly things first,don't make it complicated. Change the plugs. RoberEvin55

See the yellow hose going from the fuel pump to the carb ?

It have gas in it ?

What pressure the fuel pump giving you ?

The oil is over filled smells like fuel ?

While your at it and just for giggles pull of the dist. cap again see the weights they move freely?

The shaft wiggles ?

This is a mercruiser engine correct with a mercruiser drive ?

Last edited:
Back