Logo

Knocking and rotating

jmaltais

Hi there,

I'm not a terribly handy guy but thought with some direction, could fix things myself. I have a honda outboard 5hp. When it is low on idle it:

1) Starts knocking (I think that's the term) side to side quite a bit loader than if it was revved up high.
2) The motor starts kicking to the side until it's facing all the way to the right. It takes me a few seconds to notice this as I'm usually controlling the direction of the boat with my tiller.

Any ideas what I can do?

YZGQmvpl.jpg

Cheers!
Jevin
Ottawa

Hi,
I don't know this outboard but most have a swivel friction device of some sort that you should be able to tighten or loosen to make it harder or easier to turn the outboard. Sounds like yours has backed off a good deal and is allowing the torque of the prop to swivel the outboard "automatically". If you have an owners manual, it should be in there. If you don't have an owners manual, you can download one from the Honda Marine website for free.

Or, you can look down in the area where the motor clamps to the transom and probably just locate it and adjust it.

Good luck.

My advise is to learn how to do all of your own maintenance. Start with the Owner's Manual, which Jimmy recommended. Then, when you are comfortable with that, invest in the Helm Shop Manual for that engine. Don't bother with the aftermarket shop manuals - too many erors and omissions.

Back