Logo

BMW MK II Stern Drive ATF Leak

Waguerrero

Approximately 50 operating hours ago ( six months on the calendar), I replaced the old DEXRON ATF with an AMSOIL product ( Torque-Drive ( DEXRON III substitute )) as I was unable to find a DEXRON equivalent. Now immediately after pulling the boat onto the trailer after the last two fishing trips ( 25 hrs each) a few drops of ATF form on the thrust ring ( part 24) just behind the prop. The ATF level in the sterndrive is still full and both times I have sampled from the drain with no water or milky texture present. While sitting on the trailer for several months between the two trips no ATF leaks have been observed. The engine is run on the trailer about once a week to keep the gas in carburetor relatively fresh. I have operated the unit since 1994 and have not observed any ATF leaks.
Any ideas on the source of the leak – is this likely the beginning failure of the oring ( part 30) or the radial seals ( part 10)?
What ATF is best to use to mirror the original DEXRON spec?

Approximately 50 operating hours ago ( six months on the calendar), I replaced the old DEXRON ATF with an AMSOIL product ( Torque-Drive ( DEXRON III substitute )) as I was unable to find a DEXRON equivalent. Now immediately after pulling the boat onto the trailer after the last two fishing trips ( 25 hrs each) a few drops of ATF form on the thrust ring ( part 24) just behind the prop. The ATF level in the sterndrive is still full and both times I have sampled from the drain with no water or milky texture present. While sitting on the trailer for several months between the two trips no ATF leaks have been observed. The engine is run on the trailer about once a week to keep the gas in carburetor relatively fresh. I have operated the unit since 1994 and have not observed any ATF leaks.
Any ideas on the source of the leak – is this likely the beginning failure of the oring ( part 30) or the radial seals ( part 10)?
What ATF is best to use to mirror the original DEXRON spec?

All new ATF oils are compliant. Make sure you check the oil level with the dip stick unscrewed. Sounds like you overfilled.

Back