Logo

1982 J115TLCNB not charging battery. Rectifier? Reg? Stator? How to isolate??

coreylaker

I have an '82 Johnson 115 that runs but won't charge. I have a meter. How can I determine which part has failed?
Having read some other posts I see people referring to their tachometer. Mine stopped working a couple years ago before this problem arose. Related?
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Weren't you curious as to why the tachometer quite working? It's usually due to a blown rectifier. If this is the case (blown Rectifier) and running the engine in that condition, that should have affected the charging system immediately which would allow the voltage/current to back up at the stator which in turn would result in having the stator overheat. However, first things first... check the rectifier first. You may be lucky and still have a good stator with a fringe benefit of having your tachometer back in operation.

(Small Rectifier Description & Location)
(J. Reeves)

On most 2,3,4,6 cylinder engines, the small rectifier is located on the starboard (right) side of the engine just in front of the engines electrical wiring strip. There are a few older V4 engines that have the wiring strip on the rear portion of the engine and the rectifier would be located just under that terminal strip. The smaller horsepower engines usually have the rectifier located on the starboard side of the powerhead close to the carburetor area.

The rectifier appears to be a round object approximately one inch (1") in diameter and also about one inch (1") high. The base of it is sort of triangular in appearance and is attached to the engine with two (2) screws/bolts..... usually one screw/bolt is larger than the other. The rectifier, depending on which one your engine uses, will have either:

One Red wire, one Yellow wire, and one Yellow/Gray wire, or One Red wire, and two Yellow wires.

Note that either of the above rectifiers could have a fourth wire which would be Yellow/Blue

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

Sorry for taking so long...Didn't have as much time as I wanted last weekend but did manage to pop the cover, disconnect the rectifier and do the bench check....failed as far as I can tell....was getting a reading both ways...either way I swapped the lead...something is apparently frying the rectifier..Further tests on the stator tomorrow morning. ANd other things...that last line in the last post gets me to thinking...the wiring in that whole boat is a mess...one of the previous owners was a very poor amateur electrician. Ill find teh culprit eventually and let yall know. Thanks again for all the help..

The RED lead at the terminal strip... the one that would attached to the rectifier... Check the polarity of that RED wire which should be 12v + positive).

Even though the battery might be hooked up as it should be... there is always the possibility that someone had charged it backwards. Yes, that's possible, been done many times by the inexperienced or careless!

I am so sorry...I did not mean to post that here...just wanted to give an update on my situation and clicked on the first one I saw that said "rectifier" and "charging". Hard to see on my phone...Didnt mean to hijack this feller...Sorry. And I sure wish I had an answer for you...Mine is stumping me....:confused:

Back