Logo

98 Johnson 50 wont idle and loads up. Getting to much oil from the electric oil tank?

Chad Triplett

Only cranks in neutral override with throttle applied but fires every time. It will not idle and loads up bad at low rpm in gear and reverse which makes it stall out. Floods out easy. But in high rpms it smooths out. Carbs have been rebuilt. I have been told by numerous mechanics to disconnect the vro oil tank and pre mix my gas and this will make it run smoother. They say it sounds like it is getting to much oil. Its the original motor 0n a 98 lowe 20ft pontoon. Any ideas?

Do a compression test on the motor.---Can you explain what you mean by -------" electric oil tank " ----on your motor.

Start your trouble shooting with a compression test.-------There is nothing " electric " about the oil tank on the VRO other than low oil warning system on the tank and a " no oil " warning system on the simple fuel mixing pump.The oil is only " mixed automatically " if the system is in good condition.---It is up to the owner to verify that the correct amount of oil is delivered by the pump.-Failure to do so can result in expensive damage to the motor.

My Oil tank/pump is not a gear driven pump. It has an electric unit that pumps the oil to the carb. There is no adjustment on it at all nor does it tell in the owners manual how to "verify" the correct amount of oil is being delivered. How does one do that? Its getting plenty of oil because it smokes exceptionally well. My issue is I think and some others including a boat mechanic have told me my symptoms sound like it is running to rich. So either Im getting to much oil at idle or not enough gas. I was told to unhook the oil tank and run mixed gas from now on and this would fix my issue. I just dont see how that fixes it. I think the carbs are out of whack, they where rebuilt over the winter. At speed it clears out but in neutral it wont idle unless u give it throttle and it floods out easy. Floats may be at wrong level or sticking or jets have some dirt. Any thoughts?

Only cranks in neutral override with throttle applied but fires every time. It will not idle and loads up bad at low rpm in gear and reverse which makes it stall out. Floods out easy. But in high rpms it smooths out. Carbs have been rebuilt. I have been told by numerous mechanics to disconnect the vro oil tank and pre mix my gas and this will make it run smoother. They say it sounds like it is getting to much oil. Its the original motor 0n a 98 lowe 20ft pontoon. Any ideas?

I use to have a vro pump, mine did the exact thing, i noticed a very small leak on the pump itself, you check for a leak at the pump at idle speed and you will notice gas coming out the pump,that,s why it runs well at full throttle,the pressure is strong at that speed, at low speed it,s losing pressure,resulting in a rich mixture, causing it to stall out in gear and bad idle,that's the first place to check, new pump is about 300.00$,that's why they stopped making the vro models,to mush trouble.or convert to regular fuel pump and mix gas and oil.

Thank U That confirms with what I was thinking but I couldnt find one there but there may be one near the carbs cause the carbs always look wet with gas., I will go give it a good look over this week. Its in the water at my slip but its 40 min's away. So I dont go much thru the week. I will let ya know how it go and again thank u.

:cool:
Thank U That confirms with what I was thinking but I couldnt find one there but there may be one near the carbs cause the carbs always look wet with gas., I will go give it a good look over this week. Its in the water at my slip but its 40 min's away. So I dont go much thru the week. I will let ya know how it go and again thank u.
Hey Chad, it,s Rob,when you get to your boatslip,on top of checking for leaks at the pump,make sure that all of your fuel line clamps are tight,check to verify that all of your fuel lines are good,or change them all ,including carburator fuel hoses,cause one little pin hole,willsuck in air, fuel could be leaking from carb,but also may spray from lines or pump,or from overflow of carb,really sit down and look at the whole picture of the fuel system ,,always look for the silly things first,u may be surprised,a 2 stoke engine is more simple than u might think,let me know how it goes,and will lok at other options. RoberEvin55

Last edited:
:cool::cool:
The VRO is not an electric pump as mentioned earlier.---The pump is driven by air pulses from the crankcase !!!
I'm well aware that the pump is not electric,but the vro are notorious for leaks ,that's why o.m.c discontinued it, he still needs to check for fuel leaks or loss of fuel pressure,oil is not the problem for him,he's getting too much off it and not enough fuel, he needs to check for basic thingss first, then work his way up.

I checked for leaks, found none. Though I could have possibly missed one since the boat is in the water and its hard to check it thoroughly...I did unhook the oil tank and blocked it off and unplugged both the power connection and alarm connection and started mixing oil with my gas and I still have the same problem... wont idle and floods out easy, esp at low idle. Runs fine at speed...WOnt start unless its in neutral override and has throttle about 3/4 open. The guy I bought it from rebuilt both carbs a few months back and said they needed adjusting and he was afraid to mess with that. I knew it did this when I bought it. I just cant seem to figure it out. Help.

Back