Logo

60' Evinrude 10HP Sportwin compression

Olias

Greetings. Trying to bring an old Rude back to life and need to know what the compression on the cylinders should be. I've searched quite a bit and can't find those numbers. I even have a "condensed" service manual with every spec you can think of for 4 different models but for what ever reason I don't see anything referring to compression unless my old eyes just don't see it. Since I've been buying quite a few parts here at MarineEngine.com I figured I might as well register to use the Forum since I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions. So....anyone have an answer? Thanks very much.

Motor in question: 1960 Evinrude Sportwin 10HP Model#10020

-B-

As far as I know OMC never published compression numbers. Look for matching (or close) compression readings. On a pull start motor 75 -80 psi would be great. Less would still work fine.

Thanks for the reply RGP. Ok, I'm not crazy after all. :D I have looked everywhere. And you are right, I have heard from many folks saying the most important thing is that both cylinders match within 5%-10%. The good news is that I have been able to check the top cylinder and it's at right around 80-85 psi. But I can't access the bottom cylinder with my pressure gauge. At least not without completely disassembling the dang motor from the bottom half of the shroud/motor casing (or what ever it's called). :mad: Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.

-B-

Back