Logo

Spark issue 85 H.P. 1983-85?

Intakamanzi

My 85 HP goes from spark on all three to no spark on any, pulled fly wheel, cleaned mag. and all contacts. every thing looks fine. put back together got spark. Next day no spark again.....Power pack or Stater???? or something else? no manual, what test can I do to check stater and or power pack?

when testing the stator you will need a digital multi meter set it to ohm be sure the wire leads to the rectifier are separated when checking the stator you will need to confirm continuity through the windings and to be sure there is no short circuit to ground in any of the windings meter should be set to low-ohms scale for the continuity test in all cases you will be dealing with three for stator testing one of these wires will have a common connection to the other two so testing from this common lead to each of the other two will give you a resistance value as specified in your work shop manual if your reading you get for either of these checks is greater then specified in your manual of read infinity this indicates a break in your windings this means it has to be replaced. to check your stator for a short circuit to ground switch your meter to the high ohms scale hook one lead to a good engine ground and the other to a common lead to the stator your meter should read infinity if not your stator has a breakdown in the windings insulation somewhere and will have to be replaced. its is uncommon for stator winding to fail unless it was exposed to extreme heat when the windings insulation melts or improper service to an engine that has been completely submerged in salt water

also the stator is part of your charging system not part of the ignition system so i would beat that it is something to do with your power pack if all the coils cut out at the same time

also the stator is part of your charging system not part of the ignition system so i would beat that it is something to do with your power pack if all the coils cut out at the same time

Thanks for the information. Is there a way to check the power pack, which I assume is the CDI unit? before I purchase one on speculation, very expensive!!!!

unfortunately the ignition module is one component that my require you to rely on your dealer for some test especially with midsize and large outboards. however if your ignition problem is lack of spark and all of the test on every other ignition component checks out you can feel quite comfortable that it is your ignition module (power pack or cdi unit) so 1.check the plug wires take a look and see if there is any dry cracks in the wire casing or that they are rubbing on any other surface casing them to chafing make sure the metal ends don't have corrosion one them and are clean bright and shiny also can be tested with your ohm meter on low ohm scale put one lead on one end and the other on the other end the meter should read near 0 ohms some times it helps to bend the wire every way you can all the way up and down the wire while the meter is hooked up and if meter fluctuates then the wire has a break in it and needs to be replaced 2. test the ignition coils with your ohm meter testing coils you will need your shop manual to get what the readings should be for the test and if you have the repair manual then it will have the procedure to do so in the manual it will be a primary and a secondary winding test and remember that it is important to identify the wires correctly so you can be sure of there relative resistance values testing the primary windings will be on one post to a common ground and the secondary windings will be from post to post 3. test the outputs of the charge coil and sensor coil 4. test all your engines stop circuits 5.test the mercury tilt stop switch if your engine has something like the mercury version

and im sorry but the stator could have something to do with it because the stator supplies power to the cdi module (power pack) so make sure all connections are good and you have power to the module

Back