Logo

1988 Malibu Sunsetter - HELP!!

Welded Wood

I've got an '88 Malibu Sunsetter. I bought it about 5 years ago, it was impeccable, with only like 200 hrs on it. Supposedly a guy bought it new and kept it in dry storage except for once a year when his family came to see him, but it was maintained like it was used all the time. The first two years I had it, it ran perfect. I changed the impeller and had it winterized and every spring I had a complete service, fluids changed...... Then two years ago in the middle of the summer, we were cruising at about 25 mph, just a good speed, rpm's not high, temp gauge was fine, I can't remember now but I think the oil pressure always read between 40-45? I think. Anyway, all at once, the oil pressure gauge hit 0, totally bottomed out. I immediately shut it off, opened the engine compartment, and every drop of the oil was in the bottom of the hull. I got towed in. Got it on trailer, took it to a mechanic that said it looked like whoever changed the oil must not have screwed the oil filter on tight enough, so he put a new filter, and refilled the oil.... I never got it back in the water that year, so I had it winterized. Then the next summer, put it in, it ran great for 4-5 days, then one day, same thing, engine under no stress, not going fast, oil pressure and temp good, then , everything bottomed out. All the oil was in the bottom of the hull. Anybody got any clues what happened? If it were a blown head gasket would I have been able to run it for a week the second summer with no issues? I'd think the first time out it would leak oil, run hot...?? I drove it 15miles each way on the lake the day before it blew out, watching the gauges the whole time. Help?

you never identified the engine...most use a pressure relief valve in the block where the oil filter mounts...if the gasket on the oil filter appears "blown out", I'd be inclined to start there...if the thought turns out to be correct, may want to see if there's a more experienced mechanic around, too.

I'm sorry, it's got a 350. If I immediately shut it off and got towed, is there any chance of it not getting too hot? I never noticed the temp gauge go up, but I was freaking out at that moment. I hope that's what it is, because a new oil filter/gasket would fix it, right or wrong? Just can't understand it doing it twice, with good running days in between?? Thank you for your help.

A generic, late 80's SBC should have the pressure relief valve...if they get hung up, the oil filter gasket usually gives up first and the oil exits...just changing the filter won't fix it...the valve needs to be replaced if it is bad...

not likely to have got hot but may have suffered, internally, from lack of oil in the bearings...

I can't say for sure because i can't test your engine...the relief valve being hung up is likely based on your limited description...

If the valve hangs up, the oil pressure will easily exceed the design pressure the oil filter seal can handle...what does the seealing end of the oil filter look like?

Back