Logo

175 hp Chris Craft MCLR #88305 > first start up - Dual carb set up > High rev at start

HiZ

Okay, hello out there.

Here is the story

My grandfather has owned this boat from 1974 until well today

It had needed a repower and was converted to stern drive in the 80's

He then started a redo in 2005 and as he has aged slowly has not been able to work on it, thus it sat for the past few years

I pulled it out to the shop and have been dedicating my Mondays to working on it to get it water ready by the 4th of July
There was a guy that was helping him back whenever and he did some odd stuff. Whatever
So, I have completely wired it (correctly) run new copper fuel line, replaced all water lines and tested everything and it works!
Went to start it up today and it started w/o hesitation firing and blowing out all of the fogging oil I have been keeping it lubed with.
Primed the pump and fuel to carbs, BAM! Ignition

However, this thing will rev up to about 2500 RPM and will not come down
Throttle plates are free and I can rev up the engine from the "base idle" of 2k

My questions are: any idea why, what are timing specs, what engine torque specs, is there anyone that has seen this.

Thank you out there.

IMG_20130611_134541_910.jpg

This is a dumb response but it's revving high because it's getting sufficient air and fuel to do so. Why? You tell me. Is the throttle all the way closed with the lever all the way back? Is there something on the carb that is holding it open? The updraft carbs are so simple there must be something staring you in the face that you're just missing.
Should be happily burbling at 6-900, smooth as bourbon.
Loving the period-correct zip ties

Back