Logo

170 freedom hard to start when cold

spilon

The title shoud read hard to start when hot.. not cold.. ya im a tard :-0

I just picked up this 1990 170 freedom,
i put it in the water and touched the key the the motor started and purrs. when into the gas, it runs perfect. Once you slow and put the motor into idle, it will stall. then when you try to re-start it almost sounds like it is starving for fule. If I let it sit for 30+ minutes, you turn the key and it fires right up and again purrs.
the vent beside the gas cap is clear ( i blew air into it and could hear the gas bubbling in the tank.

also,
how hard is it to access the gas tank on this boat?

Thanks very much

Steve

could be water getting into the cylinders via failing exhaust manifold or riser gasket. You may want to pull the sprk plugs and look for water droplets after it stalls. You might put your hand on the ignition coil too and see if it's getting hot.
It'll also help to put what engine you have.

Last edited:
thanks Bud, I will put some more info if those couple things are not it.

is there a hatch to acess the fule tank or does the entire floor have to come up?

i only got the boat on Saturday.. thanks for your help
Steve

I have no idea about a "170 Freedom". Sounds like a Four Winns. Follow the fuel lines they'll lead you to the tank. If the boat's a bowrider, probably not much thought went in to anyone servicing the tank. Is it leaking or something?

Last edited:
You are correct it is a four wunns 170 freedom

the fill hose goes through a hole up under the main floor, so I am assuming that is where the tank is. and yes, I think there is a small leak or a lose hore or something. the water draining back into the builge has aq slight gassy smell to it.

Steve

You might be able to siphon it and pressure test it, but I caution you about pressure - you need well regulated pressure - maximum 1 or 2 psi only.
You'll probably be doing some excavation - and you may want to drill a couple of test holes under seat bases etc with a hole saw to see if the floatation foam is dry.
Keep the bilge blower running while you work.

Back