MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Why shop with us? Check our reviews! Why Us & Reviews   Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default oil leaking from cap

I have a 2003 Mercury 125 HP. I am docking this year at a boat club and have been storing with the motor tilted all the way to have lower unit out of the water. The other day I was walking down the dock and noticed a oil slick behind my boat. To make a long story short I figured out that the oil is leaking out from the oil tank cap. I checked it out closely and the O ring seems to be fine. The cap is marked to turn to right to close and to left to open. I am not sure why as I can pull the cap off when it is turned all the way to the right. I can see in the throat of the tank what looks to be sort of a thread, but I see nothing on the cap that would go into that thread.

Could I possibly have the wrong cap on this motor? The cap is yellow, with an O ring about half way up on its base and again I see nothing on the cap that would benefit me by locking it in place by turning it.

Default Re: oil leaking from cap

Could be. Best thing to do is just fill your tank 2/3 full. At full tilt it will just reach the top of the neck. But the oring may look good but not be and the lid may have been jammed buy the PO. I had the same problem and a new lid/gasket kit solved the problem but I still only fill 2/3 full and carry a can of oil just in case.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Texasmark View Post
    Could be. Best thing to do is just fill your tank 2/3 full. At full tilt it will just reach the top of the neck. But the oring may look good but not be and the lid may have been jammed buy the PO. I had the same problem and a new lid/gasket kit solved the problem but I still only fill 2/3 full and carry a can of oil just in case.

Mark
    I ordered a new cap and O ring, hopefully that will solve my problem?

Mine leaked a year ago. The "O" ring looked good. I replaced the ring and it stopped leaking. Got it at a high volume autoparts center; not a chain store. Cost me $.50.
    Fix minor things (replace wear items for preventative maintenance.) that cause major problems before they break.

Update: After getting the new cap assembly I now know what was wrong. My old cap was not squeezing itself together forcing the O ring out to make a seal when I turned it. The new one works perfectly and I can now tilt all the way up even with the oil reservoir filled.

Great