Logo

Honda 225s leaking oil from lower units

cataholic

Just bought a 2004 boat with 225s, only 195 hours. They ran out great during the seatrial. After purchase, I had both engines serviced including oil change, new impellers, thermostats and lower unit oil change. Both run great. Then I notice oil leaking from small holes located on the lower units as the boat is sitting in the rack. At first the engines were tilted up and it was running from two upper holes, then when I tilted them down, it came from two identical holes just below the cavitation plate. Anybody know what this means? What are these holes for?

You need to determine if it is motor oil or gear lube. Most likely it is gear lube....but...you need to find out for sure.

Easiest way is to smell it. You can pull the dip stick and smell the motor oil on it. It should be pretty bland. Then smell the oil leaking from the lower unit. If it is a pungent smell, then it is gear lube. If if smells like the motor oil then it is motor oil.....boy that was a bright statement, wasn't it?

Anyway, if it is gear lube, then you may have a leaky seal...possibly below the water pump or shift shaft. You should have the lower unit pressure/vacuum tested.

If it is motor oil, then it is time to follow the flow and see where it originates.

It looks awfully dirty for just having your gear lube and oil changed.

Mike

Its definitely gear oil. Pungent smell and fairly thick. I'm thinking the drive shaft seal or some other seal is bad. Odd that both engines would be doing exactly the same thing, but they are 10 years old with not many hours. I guess they could dry up from lack of use.

little use is almost worse than heavy use. It is good that it is gear oil. Resealing a lower unit is not a major undertaking. It is just too bad, it was not noticed before they removed the lower unit to change the water pump.

The good news is....the lower unit should come off easily, since they just put it on.

While off, be sure that they inspect and lubricate the vertical shaft bushing #12 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2004/BF225A4%20XA%20/EXTENSION%20CASE/parts.html in the extension case (if you have 25 inch or longer shafts).

Mike

In addition to inspecting/changing that shaft bushing, write down the serial numbers of the engines and call Honda Customer Service (770-497-6400) to find out if the original exhaust tubes were changed out in accordance with Service Bulletin 56. If you need a copy, send me an e-mail at [email protected]. The modified exhaust tubes prevent water incursion what can blow the HO2 sensor and do some considerable damage if injested into a cylinder. If the engines are mounted high, that is the exhaust ports are well above 6" from the water line, (and you don't motor much in heavy following seas) then you may be able to avoid the changeover. If not, then you should consider having the work done as soon as possible. Honda sells a kit that includes all the parts and instructions for making the change. Actually, the instructions are also in the service bulletin. Several of the more mechanically inclined folks on this forum have done the job themselves.

Based on the traffic that I have been monitoring on this forum over the last several years, the 2004 200's and 225's have the following issues:

Intermediate drive shaft bearing/bushing failure2007 and earlier
HO2 Sensor failure2007 and earlier See SB#56
Must remove exhaust manifolds to check/replace internal anodesAll
Upper cowling tends to warp and not fit together wellCause unknown

Thanks Honda dude and chawk- lot of very helpful information there. I'll probably email the service manager with this info. When I was talking to him earlier he did mention the ho2 sensor failure as being one of the only issues these engines have. I'll make sure we check on that service bulletin which I take it is intended to address that.

I hace oil coming from my 225- 2002 on mine its motor oil take a look in area betweenbottom of engine and mid case section where shift shaft can be seen if coming down from engine you should be able to stick finger along shaft and feel oil that is trailing down to gear case area.... I still havent found my leak yet will update once I fine my leak

Cataholic - Let us know how this finally turns out. I think many on this forum would be very interested on what caused the problem.

heres a couple of pics I took today of my gearcase also pic of where to check where leak runs down.. I still havent tracked my leak down year but i know its motor oil

Attachments

• IMG_20130613_130056_559.jpg
    IMG_20130613_130056_559.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20130613_130112_259.jpg
    IMG_20130613_130112_259.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Cataholic
What was outcome ? I still have issue with summer almost over going to hunt my problem down now...any input please let me know

Back