Logo

318 intake manifold

trojanboater

So I did not install the steel component of the exhaust crossover gasket and now I'm replacing the gasket. I'm considering replacing the manifold as it's fairly beat up. It's FWC so maybe it's got some life left in it but I'm considering an Edelbrock aluminum. Anyone use these in FWC engines in/around salt water? Some of the posts suggest that they would be ok (and I agree) regarding corrosion but would like some feedback. The oil pans are aluminum as well as some other parts and I don't see any problems with corrosion.

I also want to block off the crossover as I have electric choke and don't like the hotspots on the intake that come with the open crossover.

Thanks

You CAN use that Edelbrock since yiu have FWCooling. Do not recommend blocking cross over passage since it provides necessary heat to improve fuel vaporization.

I've seen beat up intakes that still work fine--long as the metal plates are included when the thing is (ah-hem!) installed.

Jeff

Thanks. I'm looking for a gasket now and vaguely remember seeing one way back that had the metal plate but with a small (3/8"?) hole in the center and one that was solid to block the passage. The manifold cleaned up well and i'll put a straight edge on it and see hot it really looks. I'm surprised the gasket lasted as long as it did without the metal plate.

Me too. Here's what the gasket plates look like.

Jeff

Attachments

• Intake Gasket Plates.JPG
    Intake Gasket Plates.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 43
Back