Logo

Honda BF50a Water pump

Hi again,

Imagine a broom. As you SWEEP the broom the ends bend AWAY from the direction in which you are sweeping and then they follow or "trail" along. The impeller VANES do the same inside the pump housing. As the shaft turns, you want the ends of the vanes SWEEPING in this manner. Sort of "trailing along" instead of "poking ahead".

If you look down at the engine flywheel while it is running, it turns to the RIGHT or CLOCKWISE. The pump turns CLOCKWISE with it so you have the VANES SWEEPING clockwise with the vane tips "trailing" along on the left.

I hope this helps and doesn't just confuse you more.

Good luck.

Last edited:
You install the impeller on the shaft .----Then lower the housing down onto it.-----Rotate the driveshaft( the way the motor turns it ) while gently pushing down on the housing and it all goes together the right way.

Both racerone and jgmo are right on with the direction of the pump. Clockwise.

Do not be confused by the arrow on the flywheel, which indicates that the flywheel rotates counterclockwise. There is another gear set below the powerhead, that changes the direction of the rotation so that the pump rotates clockwise as you are looking down at it.

Mike

Both racerone and jgmo are right on with the direction of the pump. Clockwise.

Do not be confused by the arrow on the flywheel, which indicates that the flywheel rotates counterclockwise. There is another gear set below the powerhead, that changes the direction of the rotation so that the pump rotates clockwise as you are looking down at it.

Mike

Thanks guys for the help i had put impeller in counterclockwise i just made the change to clockwise direction easy fix. Sushi King

The engine has only had 3 periods, the last one in salt-water and the push seems to be operating excellent.It seems to me that I should simply unbolt the reduced device, which should then give me accessibility the waterpump.

Back