Logo

BF50 Torque trim tab best initial setting?

matt.speedtriple

Regular Contributor
Hi folks,

I`ve finally got to a stage where the boat is ready for the outboard to be fitted and have purchased a replacement torque trim tab as it was missing from the outboard when i purchased it.

I know that the setting of it will depend on the hull itself but wondered if anyone could give me a good starting point as i`m fitting a teleflex no feedback steering system so it`ll be hard to judge where it should be. The hull is an 18ft wilson flyer.

Cheers for any help,

Matt.

Initial setting should be turning the rear side of it a little to the right.

Even though you are using no feedback steering, you can check the trim tab by making sharp left and right turns. If the trim tab is set correctly, the force required to turn left will be the same as the force required to turn right.

Make adjustments until they are the close to the same.

Mike

agree with hondadude but i will add a little if i may....i want a boat to run straight if i take my hand off the wheel once i get it up on a plane and trimmed out..most boats will pull to starboard before they are trimmed out has been my experience...actually i want 2 things along these lines in a boat...when i trim a boat out and it runs the way it should then i dont want to have to trim the boat any more that day unless water or wind conditions change or i trim it up because i am fishing in heavy cover or something...i want to be able to hit the throttle and the boat comes out of the hole without trimming...and i want the boat to run without pull once i am up...

Great stuff and will hopefully get to give it a try next weekend provided weather and tides are on my side. We`ve "only" been working on the boat every weekend for the last two years and yet to try it in the water!

Cheers, Matt

Last edited:
Back