Logo

Honda 40hp 4 stroke idle problems

Markklenz

I just bought a used pontoon boat(98) and it has a Honda 40 hp 4 stroke outboard on it. I put it in the water and it started with a little throttle. Whenever I put it in neutral it dies. I. Did manage to get it out and with full throttle I went around the lake a few times. Water seemed to be coming out just fine. As soon as I put it in neutral it dies. I tried adjusting the manual choke, but it barely run and finally dies. With the manual choke engaged, the water is spouting out. Not a steady flow. Is this an idle adjustment or do the carbs need tube cleaned? Any other ideas?

Mark

I just bought a used pontoon boat(98) and it has a Honda 40 hp 4 stroke outboard on it. I put it in the water and it started with a little throttle. Whenever I put it in neutral it dies. I. Did manage to get it out and with full throttle I went around the lake a few times. Water seemed to be coming out just fine. As soon as I put it in neutral it dies. I tried adjusting the manual choke, but it barely run and finally dies. With the manual choke engaged, the water is spouting out. Not a steady flow. Is this an idle adjustment or do the carbs need tube cleaned? Any other ideas?

Mark
Will someone please help?

Carburetors on small 4 strokes are notorious for getting gummed up if the motor sits with fuel in them for long periods of time.----------This would be expensive if you went to a dealer.--------Time to learn how to do this yourself.-------Also check compression / check for strong spark at each plug.-----Then again it could be water in one or more carburetors.

Its likely the carbs. I have the same problem on my 50. These engines do not take well to old sitting fuel or any water in the gas at all. If I were you I would clean the carbs -- the idle jets are very small and are different from the high speed jets, which can explain why you can get her going at high throttle but dies at idle.

I would also replace the raw water impeller unless you know for sure when it was last done.

Back