Logo

Hurth ZF V drive making noise

kevin_z

Regular Contributor
1995 Hurth ZF V drive HSW630 IV ZF 63 C is making a noise at low RPM. After about 1500 RPM the noise appears to go away. I changed the spark plugs and no differance. I will replace the cap, rotor, and plug wires mid-week. Question: is it the gear box or a engine issue??

Do a compression test while you have the plugs out. This is a must.

I have a 1996 Searay with twin 7.4's. When I hear my starboard tranny making noise, I thought it was the tranny. Loud clanging noise. Found the engine needed a tune up along with setting the idle. With the noise coming from the tranny, was very surprised a tune up fixed it. Did suck out the fluid, pull the filters & clean, and put in fresh fluid as insurance. Still no problem 3 years later.

I will do a compression test. And i agree Floation Device, I was worried sick that the gear box was AFU but hopefully a good tune up is all that is required. Note that I did a plug,cap,rotor change out in Jan. I did not replace the plug wires. Just ordered them. Will keep all updated

Did a compression test. No compression on #5 and 7. took off the heads and the head gasket was blown. The riser gasket (3 yrs old) was also AFU. have new gasket set on order. will keep updated

Yep. Will clean everything up in the next day or so. Fastjeff (Crusader forum) told me to make sure I inspect the block for any scaring. I will inspect all surfaces and hope to back underway by mid week. will keep y'all updated

Back