Logo

2009 merc 4 stroke efi problems

dburk

I have a 40hp 4 stroke merc that will not run under a load & gives off 6 separate beeps when it dies. It will idle all day & run at higher rpm's when hooked to a test hose but won't run under a load on the water. I've had it to a merc tech 4 times. He first replaced the thermostat then the ecu & the last time he replaced the tps. Each time I get it back it does the same thing. This has been going on since last July. I have to drive a 100 miles to him each time. Needless to say I'm getting a bit frustrated. We own a fishing resort in Canada. It is a rental pontoon boat & when it started acting up the costumers said they had got stuck in the sand with it. It has a strong steam of water from the circulation tube. From what I under stand 6 beeps could mean there is a problem with one of three sensors, map, mat or tps. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Is it still under warranty? Give Mercury a call and ask for their help...tell them you are 100 miles from a dealer and it is getting expensive traveling back and forth.

Does the dealer mention what the faults are? Alarms will always store faults and usually pretty easy to figure out from there. Do you have smart craft gauges?

Does the dealer mention what the faults are? Alarms will always store faults and usually pretty easy to figure out from there. Do you have smart craft gauges?

Just thought i would let you know they finally found the problem. It was the wiring harness to the computer. It was rubbed through to bare wire & shorting out. Go figure. Now I am having a problem with two of my 2009 merc 15hp 4 strokes. They are cutting out under a load like a missfire not like it's going into safety mode. I replaced the plugs & the plug wires appear to be fine. Any ideas would be helpful. I may want to rethink my next brand of outboards. Thanks

Just thought i would let you know they finally found the problem. It was the wiring harness to the computer. It was rubbed through to bare wire & shorting out. Go figure. Now I am having a problem with two of my 2009 merc 15hp 4 strokes. They are cutting out under a load like a missfire not like it's going into safety mode. I replaced the plugs & the plug wires appear to be fine. Any ideas would be helpful. I may want to rethink my next brand of outboards. Thanks

Back