Logo

1997 BF30A carburetor problems

yama2323

Hello forum. New to this forum. Hope to have some problems resolved or answered. Starboard side motor top carburetor, fuel leaking from the side chrome cap at the top of the carburetor. Is this replacable? Hope it is. I am from Hawaii and searching for help. Repairs here cost to much to go to the shop. Trying to do it on my own. Aloha. Tried to upload a pic but need to learn how to use it. Oh well. Aloha again.

Your float is stuck open. The fuel is coming out of a vent hole at the silver cap.

I highly recommend that you use a good fuel treatment all the time....Pri-g, Stabil-Marine, Sea Foam.

Drain the carburetor. Then take a block of wood and hold it against the lower part of the carburetor. Take a hammer and give it several sharp hits. Don't kill it, but do not be stingy with you hit.

Then squeeze your fuel bulb and see if it overflows. If it is still overflowing, try hitting it while the carb is full of fuel. Then empty it and hit is again.

If you are still having problems (assuming everything else is good), there are a couple of other tricks....but let's see if the hammer will fix it first.

Worst case, you will just have to take the carb off and phyically free up the float valve and clean the inside.

Mike

Thank you Mike. I will definitely try that. Hopefully that will work. Bought the boat from a friend but boat was not running for about 3 years. Fuel tank was empty but I assume that all of the ethanol gas in the carb evaporated and got sticky, I guess. Also, the port side motor cranks okay but does not start. Pulled the choke lever all the way up but does not do anything. Will be checking if the fuel pump is working. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the comment. Will do that. Let you know what happens. Aloha

If it was put away without running the motors out of fuel and draining the carburetors, you have some major carb cleaning to do. It may not be as simple as one stuck float.

If the other motor will not start, do not assume immediately that it is the fuel pump. When you squeeze the fuel bulb, you are the fuel pump, filling up the carburetor bowls. All the fuel pump does is keep them full. Even if the fuel pump was bad (not pumping) and all else was good, the motor would start and run for a few minutes. If you continue to squeeze the fuel bulb, the engine will keep running.

Mike

Maybe necessary to take all three carbs off and clean all of the sticky residue out of the jets, etc. If I do this, will the carbs need to be sync'd? Is the vacuum gauge the only way? Been reading my repair manual a little bit on this. Will try more things. Thank you again for your help.

Yes and yes.

You might be able to skate by if you keep all of the carbs in order and do not mix them up. If they were in sync before, they should be pretty close afterwards.

Mike

Thanks alot for the helpful info! I will try and see how things turn out. I will definitely let you know how things come out. Mahalo again.

Back