Logo

i hate having to ask but,

hi guys, ive just managed to pickup a mariner long shaft for pennys, it is supposed to be an 8hp but there are no markings and im not to great with hunting out info on these things, its serial number is 9539829 and it says made in belgium? any ideas on size and year so i can get a service kit with impellor etc, thanks as always for any and all help. :)

many many thanks boat-tech, i got the engine for £60 and its in very good shape, it is missing its ignition coils but after jury rigging a pair of motor cycle coils to check the stators etc it fired up third pull so i have managed to source a pair of good used coils on ebay,

thanks again for the info.

Great price and nice little motor. It really is a Mercury (just painted grey with the Mariner decals). For some reason the Mariner brand was significantly more popular on your side of the big lake.

There was a line of Mariners built by Yamaha for Merc - just don't get the two confused when picking up used parts. Yours is a Mercury/Mariner...

Great price and nice little motor. It really is a Mercury (just painted grey with the Mariner decals). For some reason the Mariner brand was significantly more popular on your side of the big lake.

There was a line of Mariners built by Yamaha for Merc - just don't get the two confused when picking up used parts. Yours is a Mercury/Mariner...

not confusing at all then :confused:

ive just ordered 2 ignition coils (used), 2 new ht leads and 2 new plugs, the impeller is done and g/b oil replaced, the stuff that came out was pretty clean.

needs a small repair on the hood but thats not difficult. one of the coils has a crack and is tracking so im replacing the 2 as a pair.;)

this is the the water pump repair kit p/n 46-42089a 5 on this site and this is what is included in the kit
[h=1]
mOrxAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
[/h]

i tell you what guys, without this forum i would be lost, as would many i think.
thanks for the link john it is appreciated.

going to get the hood fixed today, i have plenty of CSM and resin etc left from re-decking my boat so will get the small repair done, after i purchased the engine the other day i got a call from the previous owner to say i hadnt lifted a small plastic bag of spares that were to go with the engine, there was a pair of coils and i thought i had scored but as i said in a previous comment there is a crack in one of them and you can see the spark arcing to ground.

what i do love about this little engine is it has the charging reg/rec fitted which my 1970's suzuki doesnt so i can now run the fish finder and vhf without worrying about the battery going down,

thanks again for all the info guys,

Back