Logo

Need help 8hp

Fatguy

I came across an 8hp sea king I'm trying to get going. I'm in need of a manual/parts breakdown and a supplier for the parts if possible. I've done some research and realized that this motor may be difficult to find parts for. Any help is appreciated.

8HP Sea King
Vwb -19076

I just serviced the lower unit of a Sea King 8hp 19076. There is a parts catalog with good diagrams available on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wards-Sea-K..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c6d7d6396&vxp=mtr I bought that and then used the part numbers to look for supplier on-line. I found the gaskets and seals at http://discount-marine-parts.com/ Just email them the parts you need and they will give you a price quote. There was only one gasket that was obsolete but I did fine with the old one. I think most of the seals and O-rings are common with later motors. Not sure if this is true for powerhead parts but I'm pretty sure you can get ignition kits and spark plugs. This is a fairly good engine to work on. It is a simple design similar to the old OMC outboards. You will need to drop the full lower leg at the top because there is no break in the shift linkage. If you replace the shift linkage seal at the gear case, you will probably have to trim the rubber to the correct height. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I installed a new water pump impeller from discount marine but now it's leaking gear oil from the pee holes in the lower unit. I think it might be the shifter shaft seal, of course it would be the thing I didn't check while I had it apart. How big of a job and what other seals do you need to get down to it?

Fatguy, Its not a real big job to replace the shifter rod seal but you have to remove the prop shaft seal assembly to remove the nut holding the gear case to the lower unit. If you do that you should probably replace the driveshaft seal, the prop shaft seal, the prop seal bearing housing o-ring, and the propeller nut o-ring as well as the shift linkage seal (which you might have to trim to fit). And, you probably need a new gear case gasket. If you do this work, take notice of the orientation of the propeller shaft seal. I would like to know if the spring collar faces the water side or the grease side. Also, are you sure that is grease seeping out of the drain holes? It might be fuel oil discharged into the exhaust. It foams up and looks like grease. Smell it and if it has a gasoline odor it is probably not gear case oil. You can also change your gear case oil and check for water in the oil. If you have a "milk shake" the seals are leaking; if you don't then the seals are good and grease is probably not leaking out. Another thing to check is grease from the shifter handle shaft. If you add grease through the zirc fitting the excess drains into the lower leg.

Back