Logo

Volvo Power Steering leak

aliboy

Advanced Contributor
Had a fluid leak in the power steering actuator on our pair of D3's and DPS legs. Couldn't find any parts listed as it seems to be another Volvo 'non-serviceable' part. New one is around US$400 at the cheaper stores. Like some other Volvo 'non-serviceable' parts the unit is quite obviously serviceable, it is just that they won't supply any parts to allow you to service it. Anyway, 2 x $4 new seals from the local seal shop, and around 1 hour of 'non-spe******t' labour later, it is as good as new. I have seen a few posts around of guys buying new actuators due to leaking seals, so this is just a heads up that the units are simple to service and the seals are available off the shelf for next to nothing.

Hi aliboy, I have the same problem on my d3 power steering and as you state volvo only supply a complete unit but the seals have been manufactured and are a hard to find size did you find the same type of seals which are the rod wiper type or did you fit a different type of seal with same dimensions as each time i am looking for a similar type of seal the dimensions do not match the volvo seal. I was thinking of getting the inner diameter size which is a 2.25 inch seal which seems available and an oversize outside diameter and machining my unit to fit the sourced seals. any help? Thanks.

Sorry Denny. That was a couple of years back and I can't remember the details. I know that we didn't machine anything so we must have found the matching seals. Volvo sometimes use a mix of metric and imperial sized parts depending on where the actual item was made. Have you checked for the correct size in both metric and imperial?

Sorry Denny. That was a couple of years back and I can't remember the details. I know that we didn't machine anything so we must have found the matching seals. Volvo sometimes use a mix of metric and imperial sized parts depending on where the actual item was made. Have you checked for the correct size in both metric and imperial?

Hi Aliboy, Thanks. The size of the seals are in imperial and the outer size is 2.5" x inner at 2.25" x 0.142 in height these are a u cup seal with an outside scraper and in my oppinion having just 1 seal each side is not enough due to the environment they are working in. This unit was stored in its engine crate for 9years before the engine was installed and propably the seals must have suffered from lack of use as the leak began almost imediately within 25 hrs of engine operation. would you have the contact were you sourced these seals from? thanks d

It could have been any one of 4 spe******t places that we get seals from. If your local Seal & Bearing shop is any good they should be able to get one for you.

Back